Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Whole Wheat Baking/Gingham Love


On Monday I was all set to make these Chocolate Raspberry Sandwich Cookies, and after all the ingredients were set out on the counter, ready to go, I realized that I was out of all-purpose flour. What? I just bought a 5 pound bag less than two weeks ago! I guess that is what baking flatbread everyday does to my flour supply! I didn't realize that 2 cups of flour could really add up. Anyways, I didn't feel like going to the store, and I also didn't feel like giving up completely, so I made them with whole wheat flour. I think that the flour was mixed with a little white flour, but I am really not sure because I can't remember if I added any back when I filled my jar. I couldn't believe it, the cookies came out moist and chewy, with no sign of whole wheat to distract the cooky's flavor! I think the cocoa powder disguised the healthy parts of the cookie! Casey doesn't even know that they have whole wheat in them and he has been eating these for a couple days. I haven't kept it a secret, I just forgot to tell him. I really like these cookies, but chocolate desserts are an every once in a awhile thing for me. After a day of eating a lot of chocolate I am ready for something else, like vanilla. Oh, that also reminds me. These cookies taste really good on top of vanilla ice cream!
I am going to put the recipe in the comment section after I am done posting this.


So, the flatbread obsession/craze hasn't stopped around here. This recipe also did well with whole wheat flour, just needs a little longer in the oven. I normally have a rule with myself not eat "cute animals" such as deer, rabbits, ducks, and lamb. Not that I judge anyone who does, I just already feel a little guilty about eating meat, so I decided to not eat anything that I wasn't raised on eating. Well, my petty little morals can always be compromised and I ended up making Lamb Gyros for the both of us. Normally I buy Casey a patty and get myself a beef patty. While I was at the meat counter, I thought this is silly, and bought all lamb. I made the gyros with bulk lamb sausage, spinach, whole wheat garlic flatbread, and homemade tzatziki sauce (recipe from Kalyn's Kitchen). I really liked it, but I would like to try and stick to my no lamb rule in the future, just to make myself happy. Plus, it is so greasy! and the color of the meat stays pink no matter how long you cook it! Whats up with that? Oh, and the drink in the background is a peach strawberry smoothie. Lately if I don't have a smoothie everyday I start to feel like a corpse.
The weather in Portland has awful! I don't mind the rain, but the wind is what is annoying! I have been doing little projects inside, including a lot of homework, but I scored this massive amount of gingham curtain fabric at goodwill for 99 cents! So I made this little half apron today.


I did not sew the trim, unfortunately, it was all ready on there. All I did was cut it and sew a button on the back. What I would like to know is: should I add and embellishments, a bib, pockets, etc? Or should I just leave it alone??? I am limited in skills, lack of sewing machine, so easy ideas/feedback is what I am looking for.
I LOVE GINGHAM! Really, I love it too much! I have matching kitchen slippers from Japan that I am excited to wear this with!

13 comments:

Oiyi said...

Your cookies look yummy. But the lamb gyros with your homemade flatbread is making me drool. It looks sooooo good.

bunbun said...

Chocolate Raspberry Sandwich Cookies Recipe:
**makes axp. 15 to 20 sandwhiches**
Ingredients:

1-1/2 cups w.wheat flour (or reg. flour)
1/2 cup dutch processed cocoa powder (i use Dagoba)
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 cup butter, room temp
1-1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg, prefer room temp
1 tsp vanilla
Raspberry Jam (or any flavor you prefer)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 deg.
Whisk dry ingredients in a bowl
With an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar about 2-3 minutes, until fluffy
Add egg, beat well, add vanilla
Add flour mix, beat until you have everything well mixed.
Place teaspoons of batter onto a prepared baking sheet (w/ wax paper or mat) and bake for 10 minutes or so, just until the edges are crispy, you want the center to be soft for a chewy cookie.
Let cool on rack completely, then spread jam (about a tsp. per cookie) on bottom of a cookie, sandwhich together, then repeat until all are sandwiched.
Wala! This recipe was adapted from Joyof baking.com, but I tweaked it a little. I would suggest trying a little less cocoa powder for a more subtle choco taste, if that is preferred.

Thanks Oiyi! Is it weird that your knitting makes me drool????

Milkberry said...

bunbun! awww lovely! those look like macaroon! oh i will definitely try to make these.

u know what? after reading yours and tizzie's post about flatbread (seriously is this the craze now?) i deciced to join the band wagon and made them last night! omg delish!

i had them with tandoori chicken and yogurt garlic parsley sauce! yum~

thanks bunbun for the marthastewart link! awesome!

Anonymous said...

Cute, cute apron!!! Every time I see gingham I think of you. Seriously. I love gingham too but I always think, Holly! So we are going to be staying here, near Hawthorne:
http://www.vrbo.com/179493
I'm so excited! We will be leaving on Sunday and we will have to trade phone numbers with you. I thought we could go shopping while Dustin takes Luce to the zoo, whatever day works for you.

Unknown said...

getting my last fix in blog-land before i ciao for the weekend, more wonderful food! and you can sew too :) very nice...talk to you when i am back, happy weekend to you and hubby :)

amy said...

I love the gingham apron! Give it to me. I love gingham too. I do not own anything with that pattern though, hope that doesn't make me a loser.

I want to make flatbread too. Only because I want to be just like you and also because it looks so delish.

I have a muffin recipe that I'd like to share with you sometime. I promise I will, as soon as I make them and blog about it.

ling239 said...

cookies and vanilla ice cream... combination to die for ~ ^_^

Anonymous said...

nice cookies...and i really like your flower photo shooting...

bunbun said...

milkberry: I am so glad you liked the recipe! Tandoori chicken and yogurt sauce sounds "totemo oishii desu ne!" perfect ban gohan!

amanda, I am too excited about going shopping with you, this early in the morning to think straight! But anyday works great! I will send you a message later today! also, that makes me happy that gingham makes you think of me.

amy- you are ridiculous! I think if I wasn't married my room would end up looking like a nursery from too much gingham. and I would love to hear about the muffins!

thank you ling and squall. I really want to try all the food you review. You both should be working for food magazines

mkate- have fun! I don't really know how to sew very well at all. But I did use scissors a little bit and sewed a button. I really want to get better at sewing....... maybe someday!

Tizzalicious said...

Oh god, I'm starving now!

Gingham = Looooove!

Marina Capano said...

Hi! how are you!great post.
by the way, you are invited my virtual party! I hope you visit!!!xoxoxooxoxoxo

Unknown said...

Hi bunbun
I'm sorry. did i left u a comment previously about the checked fabric you made the apron from?
how much did you pay for it? I'm wondering where you buy it from and is it possible for me pay for it together with the shipping charges?

mushroommeadows said...

You've 5 lbs of flour in less than two weeks? I'm so jealous! That means you've been baking, cooking, and eating pretty good. :)

The apron is cute! :)