Sunday, April 6, 2008

Rainy Days

This weekend it rained a lot in the mornings.

It made for lazy mornings, which meant there was no trip to the Japanese Gardens.


Since we don't drive right now, there is a lot of hiking involved to get to the gardens (which is fun) and the rain just didn't give us the energy to do it. I think the sakura should still be around the gardens next weekend. The sun did come out in the afternoon, so we headed out and walked to the University of Portland campus, which is not far from us at all. The campus overlooks the Willamette River and downtown Portland. The campus is beautiful, with lots of greenery and old buildings.

There is a lot of picnic spots overlooking the river and so we brought a little snack picnic, with hard boiled eggs. I love this printed foil from Daiso. Except I never want to use it because I don't want to run out!


I love this view of Portland because it has so much going on. In the very back you can see Downtown Portland, you can also see the hills and the industrial boats. There were a lot of pretty flowers framing this view.




When we came home I made Jalapeno Cheese Cornbread


I got the recipe from Epicurious.com. I really like this recipe because it only calls for a little sugar, and more cornmeal than the average recipe. I used Fontina cheese, because I think cheddar cheese gets too greasy in baked goods. There was just the right amount of jalapeno in the batter because it made my husband happy, but I could also handle it. If it got to be to hot for me, I just picked a little out. Some I made as muffins and some I made into wedges.
The weather was just fine for a lot of neighborhood walking and the rain is nice because then we get raindrops on flowers when we take photos outside. That is my favorite!




Great times! I did a lot more baking and cooking, which I will talk about later...
I did find this gorgeous Japanese Photography magazine that I can't wait to get! It is about female photographers, it is called Joshi Camera.

Looks so amazing! I found about it through The La Tartine Gourmande.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hi holly, i love japanese stuff too, always so cute and petite and do you wonder why it's so difficult to find a japanese blogger? it must be the language as they are kinda poor in english :(

Unknown said...

The flowers photographed are so bright and cheerful. The cake looks so good, makes me feel like sinking my teeth into it :P yum

bunbun said...

Hi mkate! I don't know of any Japanese bloggers, but maybe I would if my Japanese was better!
How are so good at English? You are better than me!

Emily, thank you so much. One day I would like to bake as delicate and beautiful as you do! If you happen to read this, do you mind telling me if you use a full size oven or a toaster oven? For some reason I vaguely remember you saying that you used a small oven.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! I love those purple flowers with the raindrops on them.

choi yen said...

wow, I like flowers!!!

Dchao said...

Man, spring is the time I miss the most when I'm not in Oregon.

Minneapolis only has dirt, and some gross grass. Along with a bunch of trash that has been in the snow. It's so gross.

Thanks for posting up pictures of Oregon. <3
Ohhh how I miss it.